Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Weekend Exploring

Well, my weekend, at least. (I get Mondays and Tuesdays off, since the actual weekend is when my department is busiest.) I trekked into Frederick, MD yesterday to take part in the very un-historical activity of seeing Star Trek (note: turns out nothing is open there on Mondays), and headed into Charlestown, WV earlier today.*

Not my picture. [x] But I was standing right here this afternoon!

Downtown Charlestown was small, but interesting. I saw the courthouse where John Brown was tried, and then popped over to the Jefferson County museum, where they had (among many other things) the wagon that carried him to his execution. Harpers Ferry doesn't have the monopoly on all the Brown history around here!

In the evening, I trekked over to Virginius Island, which is about a three minute walk from the house. It was the site of a bustling industrial town in the mid-19th Century, but the 1870 flood of the Shenandoah all but wiped it out. Today, it's back to nature, with only the stone ruins of the town testifying to its very different past.

One of the current residents of Virginius Island, whom
I came across earlier.

*I normally don't find it necessary to specify what state I'm in, but being right on the border, it's always switching. I get groceries in WV, put gas in the car in VA, go for walks in MD...

No comments:

Post a Comment